Definition of Latvian in English:
Of or relating to Latvia, its people, or its language.
- By the 1980s, Latvian language and culture were on the verge of extinction, and some drastic measures were needed to galvanise them after independence.
- In free Latvia, state money has been used to restore cemeteries where Latvian SS soldiers are buried, and museums recording the occupation from 1940 to 1990 have been established.
- The company has already received inquiries from businesses as far away as Scotland interested in recruiting Latvian workers through the company's Riga office.
nounBack to top
1A native or citizen of Latvia, or a person of Latvian descent.
- Before that pioneering effort the Latvian was confined to the special group of openings that attract die-hard support at the amateur level, but finds no following among top players.
- After reading your article about the Latvian Gambit, I felt well prepared for a game in our local club tournament against an opponent who has played the Latvian for more than 20 years.
- It's obvious that you've looked at this opening far more than I have, but I simply can't agree with your assessment that the Latvian is playable.
2The Baltic language of Latvia.
- The new Latvian government reinstated Latvian as the official language.
- The show includes 120 displays of photographs, documents, relics and texts in four languages - English, Latvian, French and Welsh.
- Amidst the Babel-like diversity, Brother Wolfgang spoke alternately in German and in English, while others translated into Latvian, French, Italian and Dutch.
Definition of Latvian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.