Definition of layering in English:
1The action of arranging something in layers.
- Another risk is the amount of layering, arranging, and producing that went into the songs was beyond our production level and ability.
- Through effective arranging and layering, the final piece of public art becomes a beautiful three-dimensional collaboration.
- There is no layering of instruments or vocals on this record at all; it is all very sparse and close to the bone, and there is nothing to hide behind.
1.1 Geology The presence or formation of layers in sedimentary or igneous rock.
- Thin layering in sedimentary rocks, preferred orientation of crystals or the presence of fractures in subsurface rocks cause anisotropic wave propagation in rock layers.
- The layering in these ultramafic rocks, and their position above mantle tectonites, is attributed to lower crustal igneous processes.
- Sedimentary layering is manifested as alignment of grains and carbonaceous material.
2The method or activity of propagating a plant by producing layers.
- Large or disturbed plants regenerate clonally by layering of drooping shoots.
- Clonal progeny may be produced by stolons, runners, rhizomes, tubers, buds on bulbs, corms and roots, layering of stems, and agamospermous seed.
- Perennial varieties may be propagated by tip cuttings, layering or division.
Definition of layering in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan