noun (plural laymen)
- 1A nonordained member of a church.More example sentences
- He was an active Catholic layman and served as figurehead president of the Empire State Building Corporation headed by a prominent Democrat.
- Well, a chaplain, by anybody's dictionary, is a person - clergyman or layman - who conducts a service in a chapel.
- Recognizing I am no more qualified to deal with this subject than any Christian layman, I am turning to the opinions of the Rev.
- 2A person without professional or specialized knowledge in a particular subject: the book seems well suited to the interested laymanMore example sentences
- Yet politicians, bureaucrats, professionals and layman alike have immense faith in him.
- For professional and layman alike, this thoughtful and accessible volume is a good place to start.
- This is an excellent summary of the state of research in this area - or at least it appears so to this interested layman.
More definitions of laymanDefinition of layman in:
- The British & World English dictionary