A tropical ant that cuts pieces from leaves and carries them back to the nest for use as a culture medium for growing food fungi.
- Genus Atta, family Formicidae
More example sentences
- They ate emperor moth caterpillars, toasted giant leafcutter ants, black Himalayan ants from China, mealworms, chocolate-covered ants, fish eyes, whitebait, tripe, eels, and snails.
- ‘Take for instance the society of the leafcutter ants and their communal leaf fungus.’
- New World tropical leafcutter ants create colossal underground metropolises, each housing several million workers that tend huge fungus gardens.
Definition of leafcutter ant in:
- The British & World English dictionary