Definition of leatherwood in English:
1 see titi2.
- Myrtles and leatherwoods thickly adorn the river bank and the large grass tree (richea pandanifolia) is also present.
- After much prompting and insistence by beekeepers, Forestry Tasmania agreed to try and retain leatherwoods (subject to safety considerations) in one of the Class 4 (small flowing streams) stream reserves of 10m on either side of the stream, on the Northern side of the coupe.
2A North American shrub with yellow flowers and very short leafstalks. Its tough, pliant bark was formerly used by American Indians for making baskets, fishing lines, and bowstrings.
- Dirca palustris, family Thymelaeaceae
- Following his initial studies, Bill began an experiment to test the hypothesis that low temperatures during winter limit the sexual reproductive success of western leatherwoods at certain sites.
- But we're quickly succumbing to the river's magnificence; its sweet-tasting, clear waters, tinged brown by the tannin leaching off plants, surging and meandering between banks crowded with a jostling throng of trees, tall leatherwoods dropping white blossoms into the foam-covered eddies.
- The wide temperature swings characteristic of the leatherwood flowering period in the Upper Peninsula is probably among the most severe within its range.
Definition of leatherwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.