- A plant related to the onion, with flat overlapping leaves forming an elongated cylindrical bulb that together with the leaf bases is eaten as a vegetable. It is used as a Welsh national emblem.
More example sentences
- Allium porrum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- Add more oil to the pan and cook the onion, carrot, leeks and celery gently till soft.
- Onions and leeks were cultivated as flavourings and wild garlic may have been used.
- Asparagus is a member of the lily family and closely related to onions and leeks.
Old English lēac, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch look and German Lauch.
More definitions of leekDefinition of leek in:
- The British & World English dictionary