- 1 Baseball The part of the outfield to the left of center field from the perspective of home plate: a high fly to left fieldMore example sentences
- For a long time, Womack has had a tendency to hit fly balls to left field for easy outs.
- Bryce had hit a fly ball to left field and Benji was running home and Bryce running to second.
- In the top of the third inning with two outs, the Padres' Gene Richards lofted a fly ball to left field.
- 1.1The position of the defensive player stationed in left field: I played left field a lot against himMore example sentences
- He was an atrocious defensive player in left field, but in his four seasons with the Cubs, he hit for a .286 batting average.
- Because of the configuration of PNC Park, he believes left field is the toughest defensive position in the outfield.
- The team's well-publicized troubles at Pacific Bell Park might have been even worse were it not for great defense from Bonds in left field.
- 2North American • informal A surprising or unconventional position or style: seldom do so many witty touches come out of left fieldMore example sentences
- And this is an unthinkable, unspeakable tragedy that, in my opinion, came out of left field.
- And that sort of just came out of left field and really blew me away.
- But I got such a terrible shock because it just came out of left field.
- 2.1A position of ignorance, error, or confusion: he’s so far out in left field that even his followers are embarrassedMore example sentences
- This is but one more example of the consensus view being way out in left field.
- When the Congressmen would start asking him questions behind that, he was just completely out in left field.
- It's nice to know I'm not out in left field in my thoughts and at the same time incredibly disturbing to see my thoughts reflected by another voice.
- More example sentences
- If he improves his patience, he should be considered one of the top left fielders in the game.
- Bochy says he did it to assist the left fielders, who occasionally were blinded by the tricky stadium lighting.
- Long has moved to left, where he's more comfortable, and he has far more speed and a better arm than most left fielders.
More definitions of left fieldDefinition of left field in:
- The British & World English dictionary