Definition of leftist in English:
A person who supports the political views or policies of the left.
- Do you really believe the Republican majority in the House and Senate would obey this radical leftist?
- By way of background, most British leftists have some degree of emotional attachment to our public services.
- We were even courageous in front of an amphitheatre crowded with excited leftists.
adjectiveBack to top
Supportive of the political views or policies of the left: leftist radicals
More example sentences
- The air strikes caused a profound split inside leftist groups that could not decide which side they should support.
- He also held strong leftist sympathies.
- His political commentaries reveal much about American leftist politics of the 1930s and 1940s.
- Example sentences
- Records the implosion of its Labor Party, long the country's majority party, now doomed to irrelevance as it sinks deeper into a leftism that consists mostly of wishful thinking.
- Deacon and I were both part of the anti-Viet Nam war movement, and for both of us, the tortuous path to understanding the truth about that conflict was an important part of our shedding the leftism of our youth.
- I'm partial to this one because it springs, in part, from a central fallacy of the leftism of them and others.
Words that rhyme with leftistdentist • transvestist • statist
Definition of leftist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.