- 1.1 (also leghorn hat) A hat made of this.More example sentences
- A cluster of women, about six, in their white dresses and wide-brim leghorn hats, were on the lawn by the side of the house but too far away to distinguish individually.
- 2 (Leghorn /ˈlegərn, -ˌhôrn/) A chicken of a small hardy breed.More example sentences
- Hardy and active Leghorns, which originated near the city of Leghorn in Italy, are outstanding egg layers.
- In Leghorn chickens dominant females were found to allocate more testosterone to male eggs, whereas subordinate females allocated more testosterone to female eggs.
- It won't say whether it is a Leghorn or a Rhode Island Red but it will guarantee whether an egg is organic or free range.
mid 18th century: anglicized from the Italian name Leghorno (now Livorno), from where the straw and fowls were imported.
More definitions of LeghornDefinition of leghorn in:
- The British & World English dictionary