Definition of legitimism in English:
Support for a ruler whose claim to a throne is based on direct descent.
- The milieu of moderate liberalism certainly shaped Tocqueville's views on the inevitability of the democratic revolution, and hence his decisive break with legitimism and his family.
- In the face of the Jane Grey débâcle, the Norfolk gentry were persuaded of her Tudor legitimism; they learned the extent of her Catholicism only after she was safely enthroned at Westminster.
legitimist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- His mother, always prone to periods of melancholy and depression, mourned the Old Regime and believed that the legitimists could reconquer France and restore both the royal line and true religion.
- In the Academy of Rennes, legitimists attended certain Catholic schools.
Definition of legitimism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan