Definition of legume in English:
1A leguminous plant, especially one grown as a crop.
- We are aware of no such studies of wild legumes growing in uncultivated soils.
- He's also seeded pastures with legumes like alfalfa and red and white clovers.
- Not only can we produce our own nitrogen by growing legumes, but we can actually rebuild the health of our soils.
1.1A seed, pod, or other edible part of a leguminous plant used as food.
- Folate is found in dark green leafy vegetables, beans and legumes and citrus fruits.
- It is high in cereal grains, legumes and root vegetables and restricts simple sugar and fats.
- Foods high in dietary fibre may include whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits.
1.2 Botany The long seedpod of a leguminous plant.
- More information is needed to understand how the pod wall or seed coat tissues in legumes provide these functions; a sound structural foundation should help in this effort.
- In many legumes, seeds are arranged linearly within the pod, making it relatively simple to study the effect of position of the ovule on seed abortion and seed set.
- Seed coat cells in the developing seeds of grain legumes release nutrients to the developing embryo.
Words that rhyme with legumevolume • costume
Definition of legume in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.