Definition of lemon sole in English:
A common European flatfish of the plaice family. It is an important food fish.
- Microstomus kitt, family Pleuronectidae
- The pub offers a wide range of food from cheese sandwiches to lemon sole.
- Michael's main course of grilled lemon sole with langoustine butter was good, but not extraordinary.
- The food, though, remained a class apart, as I found when I ordered the roulade of smoked salmon and lemon sole.
Mid 19th century: lemon from French limande, of unknown origin.
Definition of lemon sole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.