Medicine , • archaic
- (Of a medicine) laxative.More example sentences
- The leaves, and to a lesser extent the flowers, are mildly diuretic, emollient, lenitive and mildly sedative.
nounBack to top
- A laxative.More example sentences
- He suggests, as lenitives, senna with pulp of tamarind or oil of sweet almonds.
- This should be followed by an emetic or stomach-pump, and subsequently by lenitives.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin lenitivus, from lenit- 'softened', from the verb lenire.
More definitions of lenitiveDefinition of lenitive in:
- The British & World English dictionary