1A high-protein pulse that is dried and then soaked and cooked before eating. There are several varieties of lentils, including green ones and smaller orange ones, which are typically sold split.
- It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.
- You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.
2The plant that yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
- Lens culinaris, family Leguminosae
- Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.
- Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.
Words that rhyme with lentildentil, ventil
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of lentil in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.