- An extinct, early amphibian of the Carboniferous and Permian periods, distinguished by vertebrae shaped liked hourglasses.
More example sentences
- Microsauria and related orders, formerly placed in the subclass Lepospondyli
- In some lepospondyls, and in frogs and salamanders, the surangular is absent.
- At this point, temnospondyls, lepospondyls and reptilomorphs diverged.
- This may be supported by the observation that in other elongate lepospondyls showing limb reduction there is first a reduction in the number of digits and the size of the limb.
1930s: from modern Latin Lepospondyli (plural), from Greek lepos 'husk' + spondulos 'vertebra'.
More definitions of lepospondylDefinition of lepospondyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary