Definition of leprosy in English:
A contagious disease that affects the skin, mucous membranes, and nerves, causing discoloration and lumps on the skin and, in severe cases, disfigurement and deformities. Leprosy is now mainly confined to tropical Africa and Asia. Also called Hansen's disease.
- Leprosy is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium leprae, which is Gram-positive, nonmotile, and acid-fast
- The most severe form of leprosy produces large disfiguring nodules, or lumps.
- Programmes to control leprosy, hepatitis and dengue fever are vividly shown.
- Both Danielssen and Boeck believed that leprosy was a hereditary disease.
Definition of leprosy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan