A subatomic particle, such as an electron, muon, or neutrino, that does not take part in the strong interaction.
- Like quarks and leptons, the Higgs particle also derives its mass from coupling to the Higgs condensate.
- There are small subatomic particles called leptons.
- Finally, the EM force acts on electrically charged particles: charged leptons (like electrons), and charged force carriers.
- Example sentences
- No observation of leptonic decays of D-mesons has yet been reported, owing to the smaller branching fraction.
- This colour quantum number is additional to leptonic flavour which distinguishes neutrinos from charged leptons.
1940s: from Greek leptos 'small' + -on.
Definition of lepton in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.