(also liane /-ˈän, -ˈan/)
Definition of liana in English:
1A woody climbing plant that hangs from trees, especially in tropical rain forests.
- Finally, this work represents part of a long-term research effort in which mechanical architectures are being investigated in terms of the evolution of architectures of trees, shrubs, lianas and procumbent growth forms.
- These features, and very different life forms ranging from trees and lianas to annuals, occur within closely related groups.
- The leaves of the understory shrubs, lianas, and sapling trees bear the unmistakable signs of damage by hungry insects.
1.1The free-hanging stem of a liana.
- Tropical forest foragers fashion their own nets from lianas, and make belt pouches, baskets, and mats from grasses.
- There they climb into a series of wooden constructions three metres high, made with tree trunks lashed together with lianas like tree houses perched above the flood.
- Bunched optical fibers and acrylic light ducts draped like lianas from the ceiling, pulsing with digital information.
late 18th century: from French liane 'clematis, liana', of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with lianaAfricana, Afrikaner, Americana, ana, banana, Botswana, bwana, cabana, caragana, Christiana, Dana, darner, Edwardiana, garner, Georgiana, Ghana, Gloriana, Guiana, gymkhana, Haryana, iguana, Lana, lantana, Lipizzaner, Ljubljana, Mahayana, mana, mañana, marijuana, nirvana, Oriana, pacarana, piranha, prana, Purana, Rosh Hashana, Santayana, Setswana, sultana, Tatiana, Tijuana, Tirana, tramontana, Tswana, varna, Victoriana, zenana
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan