Definition of lieutenant governor in English:
1The executive officer of a state who is next in rank to a governor and who takes the governor’s place in case of disability or death.
- The anti-lottery effort, led by evangelical churches and a conservative Republican lieutenant governor, spent less than half that amount and won anyway in a landslide.
- A Democrat won a tight victory for lieutenant governor while a Republican won a landslide triumph in the attorney general's race.
- He was elected to the state senate in 1868 and then was named president pro tempore; he later became lieutenant governor upon the death of the incumbent in 1871.
lieutenant governorship noun
- Example sentences
- He had turned his sights to the lieutenant governorship, while the state Senate President took a surprising pass at higher office.
Definition of lieutenant governor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia