Definition of lieutenant governor in English:
1The executive officer of a state who is next in rank to a governor and who takes the governor’s place in case of disability or death.
- The anti-lottery effort, led by evangelical churches and a conservative Republican lieutenant governor, spent less than half that amount and won anyway in a landslide.
- A Democrat won a tight victory for lieutenant governor while a Republican won a landslide triumph in the attorney general's race.
- He was elected to the state senate in 1868 and then was named president pro tempore; he later became lieutenant governor upon the death of the incumbent in 1871.
- lieutenant governorship noun
- Example sentences
- He had turned his sights to the lieutenant governorship, while the state Senate President took a surprising pass at higher office.
Definition of lieutenant governor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.