Definition of lifer in English:
1A person serving a life sentence in prison.
- At that time there was a lifer population of some 5200 prisoners, of whom over 3700 were mandatory lifers, in prisons in England and Wales.
- Before most lifers die in prison, they grow old, get sick, and must be cared for.
- I meet adult prisoners, including lifers, every day in education and we all take the same classes.
2North American A person who spends their life in a particular career, especially in one of the armed forces.
- His career as a Colgate lifer illustrates the company's determination to constantly strengthen its management bench through a combination of global job opportunities and personal development.
- A career soldier in a family of military lifers, Dallaire was appointed to head the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Rwanda in June 1993.
- Most of the lifers think that the military lacks discipline and blame the new ‘Nintendo generation’ soldiers for the weakness.
Definition of lifer in:
- British & World English dictionary