1A person serving a life sentence in prison.
- At that time there was a lifer population of some 5200 prisoners, of whom over 3700 were mandatory lifers, in prisons in England and Wales.
- Before most lifers die in prison, they grow old, get sick, and must be cared for.
- I meet adult prisoners, including lifers, every day in education and we all take the same classes.
2North American A person who spends their life in a particular career, especially in one of the armed forces.
- His career as a Colgate lifer illustrates the company's determination to constantly strengthen its management bench through a combination of global job opportunities and personal development.
- A career soldier in a family of military lifers, Dallaire was appointed to head the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Rwanda in June 1993.
- Most of the lifers think that the military lacks discipline and blame the new ‘Nintendo generation’ soldiers for the weakness.
Words that rhyme with lifercipher, encipher, fifer, Haifa, knifer
Definition of lifer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.