Definition of ligation in English:
1The surgical procedure of closing off a blood vessel or other duct or tube in the body by means of a ligature or clip.
- Failure to recognize such aberrant ductal anatomy may lead to potential ligation of ducts during surgery.
- Treatments vary from radiological ablation to surgical ligation of the varicocele, although most urologists reserve the radiological approach for the rare surgical failures.
- One hospital transfer is accounted to each of the following procedures: circumcision, cystoscopy, hemorrhoid ligation and vasectomy reversal.
2 Biochemistry The joining of two DNA strands or other molecules by a phosphate ester linkage.
- A mechanism leading to tandem sequence duplication may involve DNA damage followed by DNA synthesis, strand displacement, and ligation.
- The ligation reactions were used as template DNA for one of the following methods.
- The cut DNAs were ligated at low concentrations, to encourage intramolecular ligation reactions.
Definition of ligation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.