Definition of lignify in English:
verb (lignifies, lignifying, lignified)[with object] (usually as adjective lignified) Botany
Make rigid and woody by the deposition of lignin in cell walls.
- In the tertiary state of development endodermal cells deposit lignified cell wall material onto the suberin lamella.
- The secondary parenchyma produced by the successive cambia is not lignified and serves as a starch storage tissue.
- For example, microcrystalline pyrite is ubiquitous on the inner surface of cell walls, within lignified cell walls and in the middle lamella.
- Example sentences
- Increased rates of suberization and lignification in the exodermis may lead to a greater resistance to the entry of materials into the root apoplast.
- It seems to be associated with lignification of host endodermis and pericycle cells at the penetration site.
- Moreover, as fruit ripens, the achenes (a combination of seed and ovary tissue) undergo a strong lignification of their thick pericarp.
Definition of lignify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.