Definition of lima bean in English:
1An edible flat whitish bean. See also butter bean.
- Finish seeding bush snap beans, lima beans, sweet corn, winter and summer squash by early May to avoid heat damage.
- Noontime dinners and evening suppers often include beef or chicken dishes, and vegetables in season from the family garden, such as peas, corn, green beans, lima beans, and carrots.
- It wouldn't be so bad if saturated and trans fats were found only in beets, lima beans, sheep's milk and haggis.
2The tropical American plant that yields the lima bean.
- Phaseolus lunatus (or limensis), family Leguminosae
- Sow southern peas when the soil is thoroughly warm, about the time that lima beans can be planted (or two weeks after the first corn goes in).
- We caged either 100 or 200 pea aphids on a single lima bean plant with or without pods, with or without a single big-eyed bug, and with or without 20 corn earworm eggs.
- Uninfested lima bean plants were cut and placed with the stem in water in a vial for 3 days in a climate room (23 1°C, 50-70% relative humdity, and 16 h: 8 h light: dark).
Mid 18th century: lima from the name of the Peruvian capital Lima.
Definition of lima bean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.