- He's very limber and agile and would have a few good moves to pull out on Superman.
- Her body was limber, lithe with the grace of a cat or that of a ballet dancer, hinting at carefully controlled strength.
- It will not only help you develop a more lithe and limber body, it will improve your strength training as well.
verb[no object] Back to top
- The Greeks are finally ready, and the world's top athletes are limbering up for the big event.
- That's if the world's sporting elite find themselves with time to spare between limbering up for races in their hectic schedule.
- After skipping their way into the Guinness Book of Records, six Waterford-based athletes have expanded their group and are limbering up for another arduous challenge - a marathon relay from Malin to Mizen Head.
mid 16th century (as an adjective): perhaps from limber2 in the dialect sense 'cart shaft', with allusion to a to-and-fro motion.
- Example sentences
- Do they flail around gracefully while I'm walking, to demonstrate their limberness?
- Weary muscles complain mournfully, yet the heart's spirit overcomes sensations of pain, knowing that limberness shall soon follow a quick morning warm-up and stretch.
- At the very least that one act of inhuman limberness should inspire the funniest and the funniest kind of fetishes for one and all to enjoy.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
- The ammunition limber was the worst for wear and required the most work.
- He achieved greater mobility by building lighter gun carriages, and having the guns and limbers drawn by paired horses rather than in tandem, as they had been before.
- Two 12 lb field guns and limbers in the RAN are fitted to the gun carriage configuration.
verb[with object] Back to top
Middle English lymour, apparently related to medieval Latin limonarius from limo, limon- 'shaft'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.