nounchiefly • historical
- A painter, especially of portraits or miniatures.More example sentences
- The limner was never solely a miniaturist, but worked in other formats and media too.
- Welch explores how naturalists, especially those who were also artists, limners, or illustrators, sought to depict the world of Nature, particularly animate Nature, for themselves, their national compatriots, and the world.
- She has developed a penchant for painting her immediate surroundings and has proven to be a deft limner of the domestic interior.
More definitions of limnerDefinition of limner in:
- The British & World English dictionary