Definition of line item in English:
1An entry that appears on a separate line in a bookkeeping ledger or a fiscal budget.
- Court funding, lacking a separate line item in the federal budget, was haphazard and severely inadequate.
- The budget line item has been level funded year after year, despite the fact that the national economy keeps growing, the national budget keeps growing, and now we have record profits.
- Internet games, 411 services and other types of content cost 5 cents to 50 cents, with each transaction appearing as a line item on the customer's bill, separate from the listing of voice calls.
1.1A single item in a legislative appropriations bill.
- Now that Bill Clinton has his line item veto, we are witnessing the unheard of spectacle of a Democrat cutting the budget and Republicans complaining about it.
- The legislature, however, authorized a $500,000 line item for the council for 2005 in order to get the matching funds from the NEA.
- Deregulation meant various companies were billing for generation, delivery, marketing and sales of electricity, sometimes on separate bills, sometimes as line items on one bill.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan