- An electric induction motor that produces straight-line motion (as opposed to rotary motion) by means of a linear stator and rotor placed in parallel. It has been used to drive streetcars and monorails, where one part of the motor is on the underside of the vehicle and the other is in the track.More example sentences
- The counter mass, which floats on air bearings, is attached to a linear motor guide (stator).
- The magnetic field of the linear motor is self-contained within the U-channel design.
- The exposed incremental linear encoder from Heidenhain is suitable for production equipment in the automation and electronics industries and for applications on linear motors.
More definitions of linear motorDefinition of linear motor in:
- The British & World English dictionary