Lasting for a long time or slow to end: there are still some lingering doubts in my mind a painful and lingering death
More example sentences
- He could feel it, too - just at the edge of his consciousness was a lingering sense of doubt.
- He gave me a slow, lingering kiss, then untangled his arms and legs from mine.
- The cheer that resonates around arenas as races are won and world records are broken is always accompanied by the lingering doubt that the feats are enhanced by drugs.
- Example sentences
- By admitting that she has given herself the better role, she appears to square her conscience, but the effect is as lingeringly unpleasant as the taste of vinegar, rather than the sweetness promised by an enchanting title.
- The new toilets have a strange and lingeringly unpleasant smell.
- I was never expected to marry her, nor was I encouraged to kiss her lingeringly for the cameras either.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.