1 Anatomy Relating to, near, or on the side toward the tongue.
- The later dinocephalians improved on this system by developing heels on the lingual sides of the incisor teeth which met against one another to form a crushing surface when the jaws were shut.
- The posterior lingual crista runs off the lingual side of the fifth cuspule, following the ridge of a posterolingual bulge.
- The cingulum, which is strong at the posterior border, thins out in anterior direction along the lingual and buccal sides.
2Relating to speech or language: his demonstrations of lingual dexterity
More example sentences
- If there are so many worlds, each rearing their own children, each would be sent into lingual isolation and be able to develop their own languages.
- Similarities in language that can be traced to an Atlantean lingual root are across the world, not limited to a single continent.
- This may be due to lingual complexities created by terms absorbed from other languages, says Jordan.
A lingual sound.
- What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
- Example sentences
- Some teeth are slightly recurved lingually when seen in anterior view, with the labial surface of the tooth slightly convex and the lingual surface slightly concave.
- Lingually, this ridge crosses the paracone near its base and joins with the anterior cingulum.
- The crown is exodaenodont, forming two ventral lobes, the posterior the stronger; lingually, the crown is more deeply bilobed than labially, but the lobes do not extend as far ventrally.
Words that rhyme with lingualbilingual, monolingual, multilingual
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.