- 1A person skilled in foreign languages.More example sentences
- He was also an accomplished linguist speaking nine foreign languages including Chinese and Tibetan.
- He was a formidable linguist, speaking 25 languages and many more dialects.
- A skilled linguist, Marianne used her new-found freedom to become an interpreter for the British Army.
- 2A person who studies linguistics.More example sentences
- Descriptive linguists try to lay out a statement of what the conditions are for particular languages.
- He is, after all, a distinguished professor at MIT and the most renowned linguist of the 20th century.
- Languages are becoming extinct, and many have never been studied by linguists.
late 16th century: from Latin lingua 'language' + -ist.
More definitions of linguistDefinition of linguist in:
- The British & World English dictionary