Definition of linoleic acid in English:
A polyunsaturated fatty acid present as a glyceride in linseed oil and other oils and essential in the human diet.
- Chemical formula: C17H31COOH
- Unsaturated fats and oils containing high levels of linoleic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid, have been regarded as specifically beneficial to the cardiovascular system in contrast to saturated fats.
- Surprisingly, perhaps, the polyunsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid and arachadonic acid, appeared to be higher in absolute terms.
- The essential fatty acid linoleic acid is also included in the intercellular lipid complex.
- Example sentences
- The main fatty acids labelled were palmitate, oleate, linoleate, and linolenate.
- The contribution reflects the compensation of the negative charges of the linoleate by the positive ions and by the changed orientational behavior of the headgroup dipole.
- They would thus be able to promote the negative surface charge originally caused by the linoleate molecules.
Definition of linoleic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.