Definition of linseed in English:
1The seeds of the flax plant, which are the source of linseed oil and linseed cake. Also called flaxseed.
- Mild oily purgatives like castor oil or bulk laxatives such as linseed or psyllium seeds are recommended.
- Flax is currently grown here for its seed, linseed, mostly in North Dakota.
- Crops such as oilseed and linseed which can be produced in bulk and processed quickly and efficiently may in future be modified to produce the anticoagulant hirudin which is found naturally in leeches.
1.1The flax plant, especially when grown for linseed oil.
- Farmers will stop growing sesame, linseed, mustard and groundnut in all their diversity since the markets for these crops will also be destroyed.
- I even found myself asking the local farmer the other day if he could grow linseed in the field that backs onto my garden because the colour goes well with my pool house.
- It mechanically extracts essential oils from various crops grown in Ireland, namely oilseed rape and linseed.
Old English līnsǣd, from līn 'flax' + sǣd 'seed'.
Words that rhyme with linseedrapeseed • pumpkinseed
Definition of linseed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.