Definition of lint in English:
1Short, fine fibers that separate from the surface of cloth or yarn, especially during processing.
- But whereas they were once crisp, motes of dust and household lint had now settled leaving the surface grimy.
- Brush cotton is a fabric that has been brushed to remove lint and other excess fibres to leave the cotton soft and smooth.
- Cover it with a cheesecloth to keep out dust, lint and insects.
1.1A fabric, originally of linen, with a raised nap on one side, used for dressing wounds.
- He covered the wound made with lint soaked in carbolic acid.
- One case, number 11, describes the management of a broken nose, and the treatment, involving rolls of lint within the nostrils and external bandaging, can hardly be bettered even by modern doctors.
1.2The fibrous material of a cotton boll.
- South Africa, therefore, only managed to produce about 50 percent, ‘in a good year’, of its annual requirement of 70,000 tonnes of cotton lint.
- A record 1,600 pounds of cotton lint per acre was measured on one plot in 2001.
- Top products exported to 59 export markets within and outside the sub region include copper wires, electrical cables, burley tobacco, sugar and cotton lint.
1.3chiefly Scottish Flax fibers prepared for spinning.
- Example sentences
- It's not a bad cold, but it's a cold, and this means my brain is covered with a crunchy layer of linty styrofoam packing peanuts.
- He, in other words, still envisions his robots touching the world - the dusty, linty, crumb-crusted bits of it anyway.
- The surfaces are lumpy and clotted, linty with escaping threads, amusingly slapdash.
Late Middle English lynnet 'flax prepared for spinning', perhaps from Old French linette 'linseed', from lin 'flax'.
Words that rhyme with lintasquint, bint, clint, dint, flint, glint, hint, imprint, mint, misprint, print, quint, skint, splint, sprint, squint, stint, tint
Definition of lint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.