- A horizontal support of timber, stone, concrete, or steel across the top of a door or window.More example sentences
- It bears all the hallmarks of a Post-Modernist interpretation of a historical facade, with architraves and lintels in cast aluminium.
- The next horizontal layer has occasional punched window openings with expressed timber lintels.
- Precast copings, window lintels, and string courses have a terra-cotta color, without exposed aggregate.
Middle English: from Old French, based on late Latin liminare, from Latin limen 'threshold'.
More definitions of lintelDefinition of lintel in:
- The British & World English dictionary