(Of a deaf person) understand speech from observing a speaker’s lip movements.
More example sentences
- He had no idea what was being said because it was dark and he couldn't lip-read, and he was being spoken to in Hindi, which he couldn't understand.
- But throughout his arrest and trial, Ian was left unable to communicate as he could not lip-read Hindi or read Hindi documents and no interpreter was provided.
- It was as if he was lip-reading while he listened, making sure nothing went unheard.
- More example sentences
- The only place where someone might stumble upon such vocabulary is in edited-for-television versions of films, where only lip-readers catch the real sense of the scene's intensity.
- He also points out a bit of censorship when one line proved too hot for the dialogue track, though it's there for lip-readers.
- Sparing no expense, we hired a top lip-reader to interpret just what passed between them last week.
Definition of lip-read in:
- The British & World English dictionary