Definition of lipolysis in English:
The breakdown of fats and other lipids by hydrolysis to release fatty acids.
- First, in men, testosterone stimulates lipolysis, inducing an increase in free fatty acid release from the visceral fat depots.
- Taking the extended-release formulation at bedtime may diminish lipolysis and the release of free fatty acids to the liver, limiting the usual diurnal increase in plasma triglycerides.
- When lipolysis outraces lipogenesis and releases fatty acids into the blood, they diffuse into all cells of the body to be used as fuel.
- Example sentences
- During the postinjury catabolic and lipolytic response, one would expect insecticides, as well as other lipophilic chemicals, to be released from fat depots.
- Finally, growth hormone is lipolytic, inducing the breakdown of tissue lipids and thus providing energy supplies that are used to support the stimulated protein synthesis induced by increased amino acid uptake.
- In addition to its powerful, extended-release thermogenic and lipolytic activity, it can also be an excellent pre-workout pick-me-up.
Pronunciation: /ˌlipəˈlitik/ /ˌlī-/adjective
Definition of lipolysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan