Definition of literacy in English:
1The ability to read and write.
- Innovative programmes successfully encouraged adults to develop their literacy and numeracy skills.
- One in five adults has poor literacy skills and it is many of these who cannot find employment.
- Its treasures must be plundered and used to fund literacy programmes and childcare.
1.1Competence or knowledge in a specified area: wine literacy can’t be taught in three hours
More example sentences
- This is the challenge of actually tapping the talent and cultural literacy in our diverse population.
- It's not computer literacy these lost kids need, but cultural literacy.
- Inadequate health literacy was identified in 16 participants.
Late 19th century: from literate, on the pattern of illiteracy.
Words that rhyme with literacyilliteracy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.