Definition of literalism in English:
1The interpretation of words in their usual or most basic sense: biblical literalism
More example sentences
- It is not old-fashioned literalism but sound interpretation to read the Code as meaning what it says.
- Finally, Luther was unwilling to sacrifice political prudence and practicality on the altar of biblical literalism, or to identify Christianity with sectarian withdrawal from the political sphere.
- In this context, the relevant principles are that words should be interpreted in the way in which a reasonable commercial person would construe them, and literalism should be resisted in the interpretative process.
1.1Literal representation in literature or art.
- Maybe I'm missing the point and insisting on a literalism that isn't there.
- Although I feel there needs to be more clarity and in some cases less literalism in approaching such political themes, it is definitely positive for artists to begin moving in this direction.
- A little naïve in their literalism and earnestness, these works are extremely competent technically.
- Example sentences
- Being premillenialists, however, they were not Biblical literalists and had no problem constructing elaborate symbologies from, for example, the book of Daniel.
- But for Biblical literalists, this poses quite the problem.
- We're not didactic, and we're not literalists, and we don't take a particular stance that aligns with any party.
- Example sentences
- The theological pettifoggery of their literalistic religion has to be read to be believed.
- How strange, then, that the sections of the Church which seem to be most ‘successful’ at the moment - or at least, the most noisy - are also the most literalistic, and least imaginative, of all.
- And yes, I agree, reducing the film to a ‘dream’ etc is a little too… literalistic, for me.
Pronunciation: /ˌlitərəˈlistik, ˌlitrə-/adjective
Definition of literalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia