- A small, puffy-looking Old World grebe with a short neck and bill and a trilling call.
More example sentences
- Genus Tachybaptus, family Podicipedidae: three species, in particular the widespread T. ruficollis (also called dabchick)
- Smallest of the grebes, the little grebe, or dabchick, is considerably rounder and more dumpy than its congeners.
- My visit to the Laundry pond yielded only a few birds, a single little egret, a coot, a pair of little grebes, several ferruginous ducks and a small flock of mallards.
- John also reared and released 12 starlings, 11 house martins, eight blackbirds, three bluetits, three hedge sparrows, one greenfinch, one little grebe, five collared doves, 16 pigeons, one seagull, three swifts and a ferret.
More definitions of little grebeDefinition of little grebe in:
- The British & World English dictionary