1(Especially of a wall) supporting much of the weight of the overlying parts of a building or other structure.
- The exterior of the Oklahoma City Federal Building is a load-bearing wall that enables forces to arch over any damaged portions while the wall resists lateral and gravity loads.
- The Hippodrome structure consists of load-bearing exterior brick masonry walls with interior steel columns and beams.
- And just as importantly to masonry contractors, designers will be specifying more of their load-bearing walls as grouted and reinforced.
1.1Relating to the carrying of a load: the road’s load-bearing capacity
More example sentences
- Her eyes widen, then glaze over and then, in what I can only describe as a calm and measured frenzy, she proceeds to test the load-bearing capacity of a standard issue shopping trolley.
- In the absence of a ground plan with scale, it's impossible to accept this contention, specially because the substantive questions of proper alignment of pillar bases and their load-bearing capacity remain unresolved.
- In addition, studies at the University of Alaska suggest that a warming of the permafrost by only 3 [degrees] C decreases its load-bearing capacity by up to 70 per cent.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of load-bearing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.