Definition of load-bearing in English:
1(Especially of a wall) supporting much of the weight of the overlying parts of a building or other structure.
- The exterior of the Oklahoma City Federal Building is a load-bearing wall that enables forces to arch over any damaged portions while the wall resists lateral and gravity loads.
- The Hippodrome structure consists of load-bearing exterior brick masonry walls with interior steel columns and beams.
- And just as importantly to masonry contractors, designers will be specifying more of their load-bearing walls as grouted and reinforced.
1.1Relating to the carrying of a load: the road’s load-bearing capacity
More example sentences
- Her eyes widen, then glaze over and then, in what I can only describe as a calm and measured frenzy, she proceeds to test the load-bearing capacity of a standard issue shopping trolley.
- In the absence of a ground plan with scale, it's impossible to accept this contention, specially because the substantive questions of proper alignment of pillar bases and their load-bearing capacity remain unresolved.
- In addition, studies at the University of Alaska suggest that a warming of the permafrost by only 3 [degrees] C decreases its load-bearing capacity by up to 70 per cent.
Definition of load-bearing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan