- 1Carrying or bearing a load, especially a large one: a heavily loaded freight trainMore example sentences
- Five minutes after we are off the tracks comes a loaded freight train rolling at a solid clip.
- Just then, Mother was carrying a loaded platter of pancakes to the table.
- A loaded logging truck carries anywhere from 45 to 100 cubic metres of wood.
- 1.1(Of a firearm) charged with ammunition: a loaded gunMore example sentences
primed, charged, armed, ready to fire
- However, for those of you serious about taking your arm development even further, the use of an supplement may be the edge you need to turn your guns into loaded cannons.
- The only sure way is to have a gun on one's person at all times or a loaded firearm within very easy reach no matter where one happens to be.
- Dropping a loaded firearm is not so much a gross violation of gun etiquette as it is an invitation to a lawsuit.
- 1.2 (loaded with) Containing in abundance or to excess: your average chocolate bar is loaded with fatMore example sentences
- Beluga whale skin is loaded with a chemical that seems to slow the production of harmful cholesterol.
- The key will be finding a quarterback for an offense that is loaded with veteran talent.
- Keep your cool if you and your tribe all are tied to stakes in the middle of a pit loaded with hungry lions.
- 1.3 • informal Having a lot of money; wealthy: she doesn’t really have to work—they’re loadedMore example sentences
- They have allowed private builders to flout all laws and build for the rich and the loaded.
- We join in on keeping the people poor and Western companies loaded with money.
- 1.4 • informal , chiefly North American Having had too much alcohol; drunk: man, did I get loaded after I left his houseMore example sentences
- The chicks that work there are hot and friendly, and you can get loaded with little cash.
- That night, Jeff was a bit more loaded than usual.
- 1.5North American • informal (Of a car) equipped with many optional extras; deluxe: 1989 Ford 250 LXT: low miles, loadedMore example sentences
- And you shouldn't feel sticker shock as if you were purchasing a fully loaded Ferrari, remember that iSCSI is affordable.
- 2Weighted or biased toward a particular outcome: a trick like the one with the loaded diceMore example sentences
biased, rigged, fixed; juiced; weighted
- How do the conmen work-sleight of hand; marked cards; switched or loaded dice, it's all here.
- The casino also cheats, using loaded dice, and when Vaughn spots this the casino security beat him up and leave him for dead.
- The situation is analogous to rolling loaded dice: one could, if one was so inclined, construct a set of dice where sixes occur twice as often as normal.
- 2.1(Of a word, statement, or question) charged with an underlying meaning or implication: avoid politically loaded terms like “nation” “Anything else?” It was a loaded question and Kelly knew itMore example sentences
charged, sensitive, delicate
- True, there are limitations in the survey method - a small collection of questions, often with loaded wording, with a small number of possible answers.
- Avoid making loaded statements or using words as weapons: ‘What a stupid thing to do!’
- If you don't give an answer to a loaded question but instead protest its loading, sometimes you are accused of dodging it.
loaded for bear
- see bear2.