Definition of loblolly in English:
noun (plural loblollies)
1 (also loblolly pine) A pine tree of the southern US that has very long slender needles and is an important source of timber.
- Pinus taeda, family Pinaceae
- In loblolly pine, the leading timber species of North America, the physical and chemical properties of wood have been studied extensively in a single population of modest size.
- Dry woodland has a diversity of species but is dominated by loblolly pine, rock chestnut oak, and a shrubby layer of azaleas and New Jersey tea.
- Both experienced considerable damage from an ice-storm in 1994, which appeared to have had the greatest negative impact on loblolly pine.
2 (also loblolly bay) A small evergreen tree of the tea family, with baylike leaves and white camellialike flowers, native to the southeastern US.
- Gordonia lasianthus, family Theaceae
- Swamp bay, loblolly bay, and swamp dogwood are plentiful; the Virginia chain fern and the swamp fern are almost always present.
- After lunch, we abandon our canoes and slog through knee-high water to Panther Mound, a raised piece of land, or hammock, thick with gumbo-limbo trees, loblollies, and strangler figs.
- Jonathan Evans, who teaches biology at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, says the industry needs to quit pushing the fantasy that replacing all these trees with loblolly is ‘reforestation.’
late 16th century (denoting thick gruel): the reason for the application of the word to the two plants, and the word's origin, are unknown.
Definition of loblolly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan