(also lobolo /ləˈbōlō/)
1(Among southern African peoples) a bride price, especially one paid with cattle.
- Xolani abducted her and took her to this home, made an instalment payment on the lobola to Nokwanda's mother, and then went to work at a factory in Johannesburg to earn the money to pay the remainder of the five cows debt.
- Marriage rates have plunged in southern Africa since the 1970s, partly because young men cannot afford the lobola, or bride price, required in cattle.
- This lobola traditionally involves cattle or other livestock, but in modern times money settlements have been accepted.
1.1The practice of paying a bride price.
- Nomakhuze Solwandle of the Masonwabisane Women's Support Group said her organisation supported the custom of lobola and would welcome any suggestion to curb corruption within the practice.
- Is the old Xhosa tradition of lobola going to be forgotten, and is the head of the kraal going to be two people in future?
- That custom lacks the quaintness of lobola and in my world, it would be called kidnapping.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of lobola in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.