Definition of lobola in English:
1(Among southern African peoples) a bride price, especially one paid with cattle.
- Xolani abducted her and took her to this home, made an instalment payment on the lobola to Nokwanda's mother, and then went to work at a factory in Johannesburg to earn the money to pay the remainder of the five cows debt.
- Marriage rates have plunged in southern Africa since the 1970s, partly because young men cannot afford the lobola, or bride price, required in cattle.
- This lobola traditionally involves cattle or other livestock, but in modern times money settlements have been accepted.
1.1The practice of paying a bride price.
- Nomakhuze Solwandle of the Masonwabisane Women's Support Group said her organisation supported the custom of lobola and would welcome any suggestion to curb corruption within the practice.
- Is the old Xhosa tradition of lobola going to be forgotten, and is the head of the kraal going to be two people in future?
- That custom lacks the quaintness of lobola and in my world, it would be called kidnapping.
Definition of lobola in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan