Definition of lobster claw in English:
A tropical American plant with brightly colored flowers that resemble a lobster claw, each being composed of boat-shaped bracts.
- Heliconia bihai, family Heliconiaceae
- For an unusual spring climber that makes a good show, I would suggest Clianthus puniceus, known as the lobster claw and the parrot's beak because of the curious shape of the petals.
- Bursts of colour from tropical flowers broke the sea of green - white orchids, bold red lobster claws and anthuriums - and the sounds of life in the forest, with cackling parrots and chirping cicadas, was almost deafening.
- Commonly known as lobster claws, Heliconia are close relatives of ginger, banana, and the bird-of-paradise plants familiar from florists' shops.
Definition of lobster claw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan