- 1A particular place or position: the property is set in a convenient locationMore example sentences
- Be sure to look over the program schedule included in this issue, and get yourself booked at a convenient location.
- They arrived at the dining hall, a squat building positioned in a central location on the school grounds.
- Portarlington, they say, is the ideal choice because of its location and geographical position.
- 1.1An actual place or natural setting in which a film or broadcast is made, as distinct from a simulation in a studio: the movie was filmed entirely on locationMore example sentences
- Promising a fresh take on any and every aspect of the media world, The Desk is filmed on location and in the studio.
- Filmed on location, with natural light and a limited crew, the visual aspects of The Sunshine are equally impressive.
- These days, we are aware that this city in the Czech Republic is a favored filming location for Hollywood studios.
- 1.2The action or process of placing someone or something in a particular position: the location of new housing beyond the existing built-up areasMore example sentences
- The poor design of the staircase, or improper location of the deposit bins results in many students trapped at the lower level with only one stairway to go back to the upper level.
- Ministers rejected proposals recommended earlier this year by the Office of Fair Trading to scrap regulations which control the number and location of pharmacies.
- 1.3A position or address in computer memory.More example sentences
- The first set of control input parameters is stored in a memory location.
- We will store that metadata in a separate location from the data itself.
- Moving to a new place is hard, and moving your server to a new location or computer also is hard.
- More example sentences
- Therefore all topographical renditions could be more accurately termed autotopographical, a term which would recognise the act of locational interpretation involved in all productions and reproductions of landscapes.
- There is an emerging spatial strategy in Ireland, and increasing acceptance of the need for strategic locational planning.
- These infrastructures all serve the fundamental purpose of distributing resources over wider areas, and therefore of reducing or removing previous locational dependencies among human activities.
Pronunciation: /-SHənl, -SHnəl/adjective
late 16th century: from Latin locatio(n-), from the verb locare (see locate).