Definition of locker in English:
1A small lockable closet or compartment, typically as one of a number placed together for public or general use, e.g., in schools, gymnasiums, or train stations.
- We went to our lockers, conveniently close together, to get what we needed and whatnot.
- Get a small locker or a lockable dresser for your personal things that you don't want to share.
- Around each bed was a light, curtain screens, a locker and a cupboard.
1.1A chest or compartment on a ship or boat for clothes, stores, equipment, or ammunition.
- The third hit the base of the mainmast, causing a fire in the 4in ready-use ammunition lockers.
- There is a V-berth cabin forward followed by a head to port and hanging lockers to starboard.
- The anchor windlass is located in a foredeck locker to keep it out of the way when not needed.
late Middle English: probably related to Flemish loker.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia