Definition of loess in English:
A loosely compacted yellowish-gray deposit of windblown sediment of which extensive deposits occur, e.g., in eastern China and the American Midwest.
- The thickest loess occurs in central China on the Loess Plateau, where it reaches a thickness of about 330 m near Lanzhou.
- Many researchers have concluded this sediment is actually loess, or wind-blown silt, which is mixed with some clay and sand.
- Companion studies of dust samples from the Sahara and the Saudi coast and loess from China show that the higher the calcium in the mineral, the more reactive they are in with nitric acid.
mid 19th century: from German Löss, from Swiss German lösch 'loose'.
- Example sentences
- The northeastern part of the Gaza Strip, with loessial and alluvial soils, also contains some wadis.
- Proper consideration should be given to zoning of areas of collapsible loessial soils.
- Predicted yields for different terrains of the loessial soil showed that the soil in the plain lands and the table lands had a higher productivity than that of the slope lands and the terraces.
- Example sentences
- The south-eastern slope bears heavy loessic soil, mixed with superficial pebbles and compact loam soil.
- It has a relatively large component of loess and contains ovoid inclusions of loessic silt which were deposited by solifluction.
- Selecting soils from stable upland positions that developed in loessic parent material allowed us to isolate modern climate as the main influence on soil properties.
Pronunciation: /ˈlesēəl, ˈlə-, lōˈes-/adjective
Pronunciation: /ˈlesik, ˈlə-, lōˈes-/adjective
Words that rhyme with loessLois
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan