Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of logicism in English:
noun[mass noun] Philosophy
The theory that all mathematics can ultimately be deduced from purely formal logical axioms, introduced by Frege and developed by Bertrand Russell.
- This aim makes Frege the first to fully develop the main thesis of logicism, that mathematics is reducible to logic.
- They explicitly disavow the classical philosophies of formalism, logicism, Platonism, intuitionism, and social constructivism.
- Of equal significance during this same period was Russell's defence of logicism, the theory that mathematics was in some important sense reducible to logic.
- 1logicist noun
- Example sentences
- It would build on the early work in axiomatizing branches of mathematics, as well as the monumental efforts of logicists like Frege in developing rigorous logical systems.
- I don't think I am doing him an injustice if I say that epistemologically he was essentially a logicist and positivist.
- This goal is remarkably similar to those of the common sense logicists, but the research methodology is entirely different.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.