- A sign or character representing a word or phrase, such as those used in shorthand and some writing systems.More example sentences
- The history of writing systems progresses from pictorial representations, to logograms, and eventually to the alphabet.
- A pictogram that stands for a specific idea or meaning is an ideogram; one that stands for an individual word is a logogram.
- Logotypes and logograms push typography in the direction of hieroglyphics, which tend to be looked at rather than read.
mid 19th century: from Greek logos 'word' + -gram1.
More definitions of logogramDefinition of logogram in:
- The British & World English dictionary