Definition of logwood in English:
A spiny Caribbean tree of the pea family, the dark heartwood of which yields hematoxylin and other dyes.
- Haematoxylon campechianum, family Leguminosae
- The early settlers were attracted by the logwood, from which was extracted dyes used by the Lancashire cotton industry.
- On land, they plundered logwood, a tree used to produce a dye used in the woolen industry.
- The region was a habitat for logwood, a species of small tree found in parts of the southwestern Caribbean that was most commonly used to make a black dye.
Words that rhyme with logwooddogwood
Definition of logwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan